23 Feb 5 Tips: How to motivate yourself on an “off” day
Posted at 07:37h in Well Being Tips 0 Comments
We’ve all had off days, they can happen suddenly; and for no apparent reason you feel low and possibly overwhelmed by all you have to deal with. There is always a root cause. Off days can be triggered by factors such as anxiety, stress, worry and inadequate sleep. So, what can you do to turn the Off to ON? Here are 5 simple tips.
- Breathe: Your life depends on it. Breathing is the one thing that we take for granted. Most people don’t breathe deeply enough and there are positive health benefits when you do. Try this 60 second meditation exercise designed for you to focus on your breathing. Take a deep breath in through your nose and out slowly through your mouth; and repeat. Paying attention to your breathing helps to lower blood pressure and alleviates anxiety and stress. Remember you can do this exercise anywhere and it only takes a minute! For more short guided meditations try the Headspace or Calm apps available on android or iOS.
- Be grateful: Gratitude is such a powerful practice, so start with listing a minimum of five things you are grateful for i.e. your child’s smile, your home. The fact you are alive, can skip, jump, dance, speak, see or hear can become part of your gratitude list. It’s really easy to forget the good in our lives when you’re not feeling yourself; so keep adding to your list. You’ll be surprised how this can lift your spirts.
- Don’t blame others for how you feel: This is energy sapping and to be honest ‘they’ actually don’t care because it’s your stuff. Use your energy in a positive way instead because you cannot make yourself feel better at the expense of others.
- If you like music: find an upbeat song that makes you smile, brings back memories of good times, and may even make you want to just dance or sing out loud. Why not channel your inner Whitney Houston!! I love Jill Scott’s song “Golden” it reminds me that my life is important, and there is joy to be had. What song would you choose? Make that your go to song, to upshift your mood and put that smile back on your face.
- Switch off: consider stepping away from social media or even your phone for a while. Yes, it’s ok to have a digital detox. It can be quite liberating to be incognito for a while or not having to place any importance on how many views or likes you get, and whose pictures or life styles are better. You deserve time to recharge.